Sunday, September 7, 2008

Charlie Bit Me





I was talking to a friend the other night about a previous post I had done for Lisa which said the last time I had cried was last Wednesday (who knows why) He asked me two questions. 1. How often to do I cry 2. How often do women in general cry. I was given the option to not answer the first one. I explained though that when I get frustrated about something (usually something I can't change) and I talk about it I almost always have tears that come along when I talk. So I said probably once or twice a month. Not that they are huge crying fits, just counting when tears drop. After I hung up I thought back a little bit and thought it was a bit high. So since I am in school studying behavior I decided to take data on how often I cry. Then I was going to report back to him. Well I didn't even make it a day.



Thursday I got called down to the office because a student was having a REALLY hard day. No one could calm him down. I'm not even sure what started the whole thing. The principal was just hoping that with my background I would know what to do. When I walked in he was screaming and kicking and trying to bit himself. Some how in calming him down and trying not to let him injure himself my hand got in the way. It looks a lot better in the pictures then it did right after it happened. Around the bit actually swelled up about an inch or more and was almost completely black. I just didn't have a camera. I sat in the office with him for two hours waiting for his grandma to come. Then I rushed back to my room which was really crazy since I had been gone. One of our administrators came back to help. Bless her heart! I have the toughest group of kids I have ever had. One scratches, pinches, another throws chairs, all of them scream most of the day. Although it is getting much better and they are all doing wonderful considering they have never been in school. Even my one student that was so horrible during summer school, they hired and extra para for our classroom. Ok back to the story.

After school I had to go down to insurance and fill out all the paper work (which is why I hate reporting things) They sent me to Nova health clinic to get a shot. YUCK! I HATE NEEDLES!!! This is where it all went down hill. Instead of just giving me a tetnis (sp?) shot (which is what i went for and never actually got) they poked me 7 times trying to take blood so that I can be tested for Hepatitis and HIV. YEAH! I have very small veins which make taking blood painful. I told them how other doctors have taken, blood, but they didn't want to listen. After five pokes and three different doctors trying I finally had to run my hand under hot water for 10min. Then the doctor came in and pulled the skin on my hand tight so that the nurse would have a better shot at the vein. When they did finally get the blood and they were cleaning up the nurse turned to me and said "when you come next week, tell who ever does the blood work our trick and that they have to stick the needle all the way in." WHAT???? Yep that's right only the tip of the needle had one in the vein the other 6 times. I was mad! And to think I get to do this at least 3 more times.

I had to run out of the clinic to make it to a workshop I was suppose to be attending. On the way there, the traffic came to a dead hault because of a serious accident. I called my friend Allison to tell her how dumb this whole thing was and yep I started to cry. Which immediately turned into laughter when I realized I hadn't even made it a day. I had made it through all of that with out crying, but talking about it, gets me. Don't understand.

The whole right side of my had is blue from bruising. Actually I had to wrap my hand up really good on Friday at work because one of my students kept poking their finger nail into the bite mark. Which added to all my bruising I'm sure.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I hope the year only gets easier from here. The next time you have to get your blood drawn, you should take one of those stress balls you squeeze. That always seems to help the veins pop out. Oh, and I can cry just watching a stupid commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Girl I cant believe that. I have gotten bit a few time by kids only once did it break skin, but then again I intentially put my fingers in thier mouths. On the crying thing. I hear you. I get so emotional when I am frustrated, when I talk about my testimony(so wierd I never had troubles on my mission), and when I get hurt. I teach relief society so it is all over at least once a month. HAHAHA! Girl I am so happy so excited you have a blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you say I work at a dangerous school! I cry at weird stuff too though...

    ReplyDelete