Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pioneers

On our way to Utah for a our family reunion my parents and I took a detour to Wyoming to visit some church history sites. It was pretty hot, but very pretty. First stop was independent rock. There were names inscribed everywhere on the rock.

Don't I have cute parents!
There were lots of plaques that different scout trops had put up. These were a few that were actually on a rock and behind a fence.
I thought this was a funny shot since I'm in it as well.
So I have a fear of hights. Actually I'm great at going up, I'm horrible at comeing down. So I stayed down and took pictures. It didn't take very long for mom and dad to talk me into going up. Sure glad I did look at the view!
From the top of the rock!
Can you tell the nervous look on my face?

Entrance to Martin's Cove
Devil's gate- Story goes that there were several handcart companies that got stuck here when a storm hit. Upon reaching this place some boys climbed the rocks and enjoyed droping rocks of the cliff. I don't know how they had the energy to climb after walking so far, going through a major winter storm and having hardly any food left.

Looking out from Martin's Cove. It is nothing what I expected the wind was still plowing pretty strong with in the cove. There was not alot of flat ground to set up the huge tents that they had. However it did have lots of trees that provided firewood for the struggling pioneers.
Taking a quick break before hiking out of the cove


Standing in Martins Cove
One of several statues representing those that helped the pioneers cross the sweet water.
After hiking to Martin's cove and back. Devil's gate in the back ground.

4 comments:

  1. How fun, looks like your having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE've been there and experienced that too--what a great way to draw close to our ancestors--did you ask the missionaries there to tell you stories? just curious--because since it is not church owned they can't (by agreement) tell the stories unless someone
    "asks" them to--hum...
    way neat place though--love the dedication of our ancestors don't you? aunt Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pictures! I love the "top of the rock" view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THanks Aunt Lynda,
    It was a fun experience. We have a great history in our family. I'm grateful for their sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete