Friday, March 20, 2009

Bats at school

I'm usually at work by 6:30am to get things done before everyone comes in and wants to talk or needs something from me. Well the one day I don't show up until 7am I miss some excitement. Actually I probably got there at the perfect time I missed the scare and came in for the excitement. As I was turning the corner to my room I hear all of this commotion. Just up the hall from my classroom this is what I saw.

Apparently when the fifth grade teachers got to school they heard all of this squealing noise and couldn't figure out what it all was, until Mr. Burton found a bat sitting on the wall outside the computer lab.
So he trapped it with a net. Then the AP and science coach put a tupperware container over it to hold it in place and taped everything to the wall so that there was no way the bat could escape. It was a great group effort and district personnel came quickly to remove the bat before the mass of students arrived.

Here's what the finished product looked like. Of course I had to grab my camera and document the moment. We closed off all the doors leading to that hallway and only teachers were allowed anywhere near it.


Poor little guy his elbow was bleeding once the district guy got him. He was shaking.



Isn't he cute? Ok cute because he is in a container and not flying around. About a year or more ago a high schooler died from rabies after being bitten by a bat at his house. So we take finding any bat in a public place very seriously. The district guy said that once they are found in schools or homes they are tested for rabies and they never survive the tests. So sad. Bats can be very helpful in ridding our community from mosquitoes so I'm not going to complain to bad when I see them flying around. Just hope never to get bitten by one.

1 comment: