Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Little Mermaid

This is becoming the theme song of my classroom this year. I have a little girl who loves this song. Even more than that, she loves it when I sing it. AHHH! I could sing this song all day to her and she would be smiling. She is one of the more difficult students I have had. She cries for almost the four hours she is in school. So we came up with a plan to help decrease the crying. I got tired of singing it over and over so we tape recorded me singing it about 500 times. I'm not kidding! The tape starts playing when we get her out of the car. The minute she starts to cry we turn the tape off. The first time we tried this she came in quiet and was quiet for a whole 20mins. Not only that she was very compliant with anything we ask her to do. We were all so excited. So thanks Disney for coming out with a great teaching tool.

Vocals: Jodi Benson (Ariel)
Running time: 3:15

[Maybe he's right]
[Maybe there is something the matter with me]
[I just don't see how a world]
[That makes such wonderful things]
[Could be bad]

Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything?

Look at this trove, treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Looking around here, you'd think
Sure, she's got everything

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty
I've got who's-its and what's-its galore
You want thing-a-mabobs?
I've got twenty
But who cares? No big deal. I want more

I wanna be where the people are
I wanna see, wanna see 'em dancin'
walkin' around on those
Whaddya call 'em? Oh, feet

Flippin' your fins, you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumpin', dancin'
Strollin' along down the
What's that word again? Street
Up where they walk
Up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wanderin' free, wish I could be
Part of that world

What would I give if I could live
Outta these waters?
What would I pay to spend a day
Warm on the sand?

Betcha on land they understand
Bet they don't reprimand their daughters
Bright young women, sick of swimmin'
Ready to stand

And ready to know what the people know
Ask 'em my questions and get some answers
What's a fire, and why does it
What's the word? Burn

When's it my turn?
Wouldn't I love?
Love to explore that shore up above
Out of the sea, wish I could be

Part of that world

I have decided though that I do not like this song very much anymore. The nice thing is that she can now work with the paraprofessionals in the room. It frees me up to work with other students and I can cut down on the Exceedrin Migrain. Slowly she is getting to be easier to work with and less and less crying. YEAH!!!! I must admit she loves the tune more then the song and at first I didn't know very many of the words. So I made up my own. We came up with some pretty funny versions. Maybe that is what I should have recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment