Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Behavior Change Project

In a year from now I will graduate from Sam Houston with my Masters degree. Many of you know I've been studying Autism and Low incidence disabilities. What some of you don't know is that the major emphasis in this program is on analyzing behavior. Obviously this is mostly taught in the area of changing the behaviors of students with disabilities, but the principals can be applied to anyone. Every semester we have to do a behavior change project, keep data, graph the data and write a huge paper on it.
I decided I would go out on a limb this time and try one on myself rather the on one of my students. This is were I need you help and I'm opening up to a lot in my own personal life. As many of you reading this know I have hard time remaining positive all the time. Although I feel I've come a long way since high school I still have a long was to go. I've also noticed that it gets harder the more time I spend by myself - inside stuying all the time, and I have less free time to be around others. Where I can not change some of my circumstances (ie the number of hours I need to study) I can change some of my thoughts during those long hours.

What I need from you if you choose to help me is to leave positive statements about me or funny- happy times we have had together. Just click on the word comment at the bottom of this post and leave me a message. I'll then record these statements on my MP3 and play them as I drive back and forth to school or on study breaks while i'm working out. My goal is to be able to feel these idle times up with happy/ funny things to think about instead of what I'm frustrated about. Just click on the comments box at the bottom of this post. A page will come up to leave me a comment on something positive for me to focus on.

Thanks in advance for your help with this project. Hopefully you'll be able to tell the positive effects it has. I thought I would share a few of my favorite times and happy memories as well. If you don't want to leave them in the comment section you an email me. I'm addicted to email - maybe that's my next behavior change project. :)
For my birthday Lisa gave me a chest full of 30 items that had some memory attached to it. They made me laugh remember all the things we've been through.
Teaching has been a big strenght to me. There is nothing more gratifying to me then seeing them accomplish a task they could not do before.

Cake decorating with friends. Can't get much better for me. Thanks for the room this summer Ladies.

8 comments:

  1. The blessing of you playing piano for my wedding to my soulmate. You played our "Theme" song, The First Time I Loved Forever from the TV series Beauty and the Beast. And of course the 2 tradtional ones also. You played beautifully and helped give me the dream wedding I'd always wanted.

    Tied with: Pat's baptism. If it weren't for you, he wouldn't be a member. I know that in my heart. He would still be floating. You got to him, and found a way to put Heavenly Father in his heart. He has even said that.

    The Chase Hawks Memorial Rodeo with you and Sister O and the two brothers. If I remember right, you teased them for 2 days before you told them there were enough tickets for them also. And we had the best seats. Behind the bull pens. Sister O and you took turns wearing the cowboy hat, and we all had so so so much fun.

    The cookouts, but the best of all was when you and your companion stopped by just to say hi on your way to dinner and Pat was cooking fried tomatoes, squash, ect. You guys ate til you were almost sick and STILL had to go to dinner because you didn't want to disappoint them.

    And lets not forget buffalo meat. Everytime Pat sees a baffalo toy, he says, "We should get that for Sister Call (who you will always be to us)."

    Most of all, and I'm not sure how to convey this, I remember the love and the laughter you shared with us. It was a joy to have you come over. No matter who your companion was, you were the one that shined through. You were our gift from God, sent to us to shine on us. We loved you then and we love you now. Never doubt.
    Pat and Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so this is random, but the first thing that came to mind was that time I tripped on the sweetgum seed and the good laugh we had over my spectacular fall afterward. :-) Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but let me think some more on this and I'll get back to you with the perfect memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how excited you seemed about hanging those red curtains in the room we shared (and that our beadspreads matched). My whole experience with you as a roommate was a fun/happy time with you. I hope it was for you too! I'll think on this some more... pull out my old journals, etc.

    The time we went to Mexico to visit Lexie's home was a good fun time with you too, (not the driving back part), but the part where we ate ice creams everyday at the Michoacana, hot dogs from street venders, riding around with 14 people in the big suburban, going to the temple in Cuidad Juarez, visiting the hacienda with the zip line out front, and taking roommate pictures in front of the fountain. Hey if I find that one I'll post it up on facebook. I think I have it somewhere.

    I love you Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm so excited. So if I'm a little late.
    We've talked about these recently but wanted to tell you again. My favorite memories with you are
    That day we spent at the D.C. Temple taking pictures. That was the first time I felt accepted and that I belonged there.
    And watching Anne of Green Gables eating graham crackers and chocolate frosting
    Oh and we can't forget the trip to upstate NY in the back of Eric's car :)lol and Going to church that Sunday in our jeans at the Whitmore Farm
    Lol oh and we (you, Laurel and I) were in the kitchen talking and we heard the theme song from Ghost come from the TV in the front room. All us girls ran in squeeling, poor David. I was embarrased.lol

    Loves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We remember the day our little Jen took out her endowments and then I can still see you walking toward your family as you returned home from your successful mission. You succeeded in tything your life to the Lord..."Better by far you should forget and smile, than that you should remember and be sad." (?) Smile more, it is good for indigestion & over all health...Love you, Uncle Arthur and Aunt Gene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a few happy memories among so many....
    1. Camping at Huntsville Stake Park. Roasting marshmellows and hiking to the dam.
    2. Playing 1,2,3 poof! to make the red light turn green.
    3. Your new pair of shoes when you were about two years old and how you danced around the kitchen in Glendale, Az to listen to the sound on the floor.
    4. Your baptism
    5. Tripping at the Rick's College graduation as you walked in the auditorium
    6. Visiting you in Washington D.C.
    7. All the compliments you give me for being a good parent.
    8. All the football games & marching bands
    9. Father's blessings when school starts
    10. Your smile when you're happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have such a beautiful smile, and are so geninue. your fun to be around. and you make me laugh. you have a really good way with kids which lets me know you are going to be a terrific mom. :) never forget i love you jen, ps when you come up for air lets get together again! that dinner with katie was fun.

    ReplyDelete